JOB TITLE: Site Engineer
SCOPE AND GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
BASED AT: Johannesburg
To ensure that systems and procedures are put in place to guarantee a hygienic and food safe production environment. Ensure the business is compliant with the latest regulations and standards are complied with for Health and Safety, Statutory Inspection and Good Manufacturing Practices. Monitor and review plant availability to production, achieved through plant maintenance, breakdown support and spare stock availability. To lead and train a team of dedicated workshop employees to meet these objectives.
POSITION REPORTS TO:
Group Production Manager
IN COMMUNICATION WITH:
Production, Technical Department, Warehouse, Dispatch, Administration.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- To ensure safe systems of work and risk assessments are maintained within the workshop department. Be driving force in Health & Safety on site, providing engineering support for Health and Safety.
- Ensure the business operates to the latest regulations for Health & Safety, Food Safety, statutory inspections and Fire protection.
- To maintain and repair equipment to ensure it operates in a safe and reliable manner and is hygienic and suitable for production requirements. Ensure maintenance is carried out as per the OEM guidelines and by finding ways to improve the reliability of equipment and determining risk areas.
- Involved in the purchase of new plant equipment, ensuring it is hygienically designed to facilitate easy cleaning and efficient operation.
- Constantly challenge the status quo and suggest areas for improvement.
- Involved in and set annual budgets for the Workshop Department, ensuring the department achieve planned production requirements within agreed budgets.
- Establish with the Production Department a production plan, which achieves customer requirements whilst also considering pre-planned maintenance requirements to ensure maximum plant availability.
- Establish good co-operative internal relationships with the relevant departments/colleagues, keeping them informed of potential issues which may affect product safety or customer services levels.
- Maintain the pre-planned maintenance system ensuring all recommended manufacture maintenance schedules are adhered to. Maintain regular inspections of equipment to minimise downtime, ensure relevant spares are available and controlled.
- Through the Performance Appraisal process, establish training requirements within the department.
- Together with the National Production Manager, agree the department’s KPI’s, by targeting and improving operational efficiencies establishing bench marks and report monthly against them.
- Ensure all staff within the department are trained, briefed and motivated to achieve their respective roles within the department, working harmoniously with other departments within in the company.
- Ensure all contractors are working to the business’s policies ensuring all work is carried out in a safe manner, protecting the company’s employees from risk and product from contamination or failure.
- Understand the Company’s code of conducts, policies and procedures, specific requirements, industry best practice and other related requirements.
- Appointed GMR 2.1
- Ensure all the company policies and procedures, legal and site risks control standards are complied with in the department and working environment.
- Responsible for complete electrical electronic, and control maintenance and production lines, as well as site utilities.
- Improve and maintain electrical compliance on site.
- Continually challenge procedures and processes to achieve optimum operational efficiency to be achieved involving other members of the department encouraging responsibility and ownership at all levels.
- Part of the Food Safety team
- Excellent Communication Skills – for confident and professional liaison with internal and external customers and subordinates.
- Influencing and negotiation skills with all areas of the business, suppliers and customers as required in areas of non-conformance and to bring about change and right first time. The ability to coach others.
- Determination to see a task through to the end and challenge barriers.
- Self-motivate and responsible for time management to ensure all duties are completed.
- A user’s knowledge of standard software systems.
- Understanding of hygienic design.
- Displays self-control and ability to work under pressure and make confident decisions.
- Strong organisational skills.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Assist in the implementation and sustainability of Food Safety activities
- Report all non-conformances to the supervisor
Qualified Electrical Engineer with Mechanical background or vice versa.
Minimum 7 years’ experience.
BASIC CONDITIONS AND BENEFITS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Minimum 5 years Food Industry experience
- Understanding of HACCP and FSSC22000
- Having a GCC will be an advantage
- Good IR Skills
As per company policies and procedures.
- CTC R 1 100 000 pa
- Company Car
- Pension Fund Contribution 10%
- Medical Aid Contribution 50%